Could you be affected by a hernia?
If you think you may have a hernia, you may have more questions than answers right now. Here are some questions about hernias and hernia repair to help you start a conversation with your doctor.
- Are my symptoms due to a hernia or something else?
- What type of hernia do I have?
- Do I need surgery to repair my hernia or are there nonsurgical treatments?
- How soon would I need surgery?
- Are there any symptoms I should look out for that may indicate an emergency?
How is a hernia diagnosed?
A healthcare provider typically bases the diagnosis of a hernia on a physical examination. While standing, a patient may be asked to cough, which increases pressure inside the abdominal cavity. A hernia will bulge outward, making it easier for the doctor to detect.
Sometimes ultrasounds or CT scans are used to assist the provider in making a hernia diagnosis.